Board logo

標題: Can a Machine Know [打印本頁]

作者: sherryliu    時間: 2006-2-8 08:53 AM     標題: Can a Machine Know

I am writing an essay about whether machine can know. Can anyone give me some ideas on this topic. thx
作者: Tokyo2040    時間: 2006-2-8 09:06 AM

Know what?
作者: sherryliu    時間: 2006-2-8 09:30 AM

It is a philosophical question, Can a Machine know. and I have to write an essay on it, however I have no idea what to write.
作者: artta    時間: 2006-2-8 10:29 AM

oh... interesting...
9 q2 Q$ k( r6 ~; ?( [/ w  _# R1 X- b) M9 B- Y1 Z7 H
They shouldn't, but they will in the future...
作者: sk    時間: 2006-2-8 11:24 AM

Originally posted by sherryliu at 2006-2-8 09:30 AM:
) C) f8 k+ U2 H: ~9 q$ F# ?It is a philosophical question, Can a Machine know. and I have to write an essay on it, however I have no idea what to write.
; Y, `, m; G  p$ d7 a  T
8 I5 b: M' }0 L( n. y5 SWhy not set some boundaries and get clear on the question: e.g. what do you mean by “knowing”? If you mean by predicting behaviosr, AI mechine can predict a lot of things and even playing chess. But if you mean by thinking creatively, I don’t think AI can do that yet.
2 O1 D- k- g' f! G) `6 C, S& F9 _
6 j2 p+ _7 t* r6 {. U# K6 dOnce I specify the meaning of the question. I will search the web to know what AI can right now and what it can probably do.
作者: sherryliu    時間: 2006-2-8 11:25 AM

Can you give me reasons why? I am so screw, my essay is due tmr.PLZ help :'(
作者: Tokyo2040    時間: 2006-2-8 12:05 PM

Originally posted by sk at 2006-2-8 11:24:# a" C: g' C. t0 w( f* X; R% _

9 r% G  S7 j& g" d
4 T0 Y. U6 w3 `Why not set some boundaries and...
/ B  O" r! p5 d( i4 R* Y' t& W7 L
100% agree.  The title is so broad.  In general, I believe a machine can only think logically.
作者: sk    時間: 2006-2-8 12:08 PM

Here's an argument structure I'd use for the essay (A, B, C & D) and some of the links and reference. Hope it helps.* k. a5 N+ x- S& C$ Y* C* ~
+ C( M( M" }0 m2 \
& f. W: ]8 @5 X7 B; @" `7 s
(A) DEFINITION:  6 o+ L) z8 p9 j' x
If we define Knowing based on a dictionary in Answers.com that includes:9 g/ ]8 }2 l1 w: d. Z* f
·  Possessing knowledge, information, or understanding
. e1 s, o  `* h8 A7 F" ]·  Showing clever awareness and resourcefulness
" J8 J! V- E& f7 z8 x1 ^
. }! Y- g8 K& n' O6 k( w(B)PRO:
5 [& z/ x: V0 jThis is what artificial intelligence is aiming to achieved and have demonstrated their achievements:: E. H4 Q; }% L& M

# {2 ~; O: G% B”.. Exactly what the computer provides is the ability not to be rigid and unthinking but, rather, to behave conditionally. That is what it means to apply knowledge to action: It means to let the action taken reflect knowledge of the situation, to be sometimes this way, sometimes that, as appropriate. . . .  In sum, technology can be controlled especially if it is saturated with intelligence to watch over how it goes, to keep accounts, to prevent errors, and to provide wisdom to each decision. -Allen Newell, from Fairy Tales  “  - a quote from a web page  http://www.aaai.org/AITopics/html/overview.html+ G$ ], T. z8 O/ ~# r

6 {3 `) U4 n. D+ _  n3 Z; a' I3 {2 Y) \+ l9 Z( y
- "Many people think of artificial intelligence (AI) as a high-flying 1980s tech concept that crashed and burned back in the early 1990s after a good deal of hype. The fact is, AI technology has become pervasive in much of the software we use today. Take the word processor. Start to write a memo, and your word processor will try to decide which words you really mean to type, and which icons to hide because you rarely use them. Or do an online search, and notice the ads that the search engine displays based on the topics it decides must interest you. 'The big picture is that AI is almost everywhere, but we don't call it such,...'”
$ B6 e# N8 P+ Q/ ?/ U5 i. B9 ^" pfrom (http://www.aaai.org/AITopics/html/applications.html)
  p1 z2 v) {) L: @! Y1 r2 g2 d* t& i; t6 G

% t* S* p7 S" ^5 P7 ?9 T* A) _+ N(C) CONS:
5 o5 s' u0 R2 J, A5 [But currently there are limits on the achievements of AI at current time.
/ ^/ h( p; m7 G! y
! K# Z6 |' b+ M7 v; h0 B“To date, all the traits of human intelligence have not been captured and applied together to spawn an intelligent artificial creature. Currently, Artificial Intelligence rather seems to focus on lucrative domain specific applications, which do not necessarily require the full extent of AI capabilities. This limit of machine intelligence is known to researchers as narrow intelligence.
2 J: n8 m" |5 z9 H& W! O. kThere is little doubt among the community that artificial machines will be capable of intelligent thought in the near future. It's just a question of what and when... The machines may be pure silicon, quantum computers or hybrid combinations of manufactured components and neural tissue. As for the date, expect great things to happen within this century!”2 a. {& y: M; O; R6 J5 r0 G
from http://ai-depot.com/Intro.html
4 }/ S; l1 f8 D, Y# n: j' b/ w. X2 V5 b' O2 [3 n. X& M9 K
5 k4 n. n7 @6 [& [
(D) CONCLUSON...
作者: sherryliu    時間: 2006-2-8 01:39 PM

Thank you for your information. I still want a bit more tho...  thx
作者: sk    時間: 2006-2-8 01:53 PM

Originally posted by sherryliu at 2006-2-8 01:39 PM:
- h, y+ y: O6 ]7 K/ V# ?1 S6 pThank you for your information. I still want a bit more tho...  thx
6 w/ M+ ~; m' q" I5 X: w
8 `% @- G' F4 }4 ^' S8 Q* n- dMore on... what?
作者: sherryliu    時間: 2006-2-8 02:03 PM

about can machine know, like something beside AI
作者: sk    時間: 2006-2-8 02:58 PM

Maybe you can limit your question to , ~& i5 v  b4 N" P5 o- C# m3 d  D5 |

* e2 W* r; \2 q5 e- What kind of knowledge can a machine process?
0 @8 g/ O( O' @  L6 u  k! w7 }- What can a machine know about a person in terms of his identiites, emotion, spirituality. That challenages the boundaries of the meaning of "knowledge"" G4 ?; B+ I) b8 h- z9 S6 a

7 C* z. J% c0 e- ^1 B+ M3 A' ]0 \2 B# k4 x/ C( j) d" A' [+ ~
- Found some links that might give you some ideas:
. p0 |8 s0 H8 z. `6 xWhat is a machine # b' Q5 ~  f. M" f: ^
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/machine.htm
3 S1 [: a: x6 ^
) C. o1 M$ j9 U" u+ cCan a Machine Think?
7 Y) s. g8 _$ e2 q# vhttp://www.kurzweilai.net/meme/f ... /art0214.html?m%3D4
. Q2 B  O6 N; n' [* V* D" I3 q! c3 Nfilter-004ing the questions on:5 @+ O8 l+ Y9 n3 g+ P
- Human factor behind the machine-winning chess game6 V# F: q( o, E- w8 b& j0 l7 Q
- How do we recognize and measure intelligence.
: R8 Y' J. A  x0 } - What A Computer Can And Cannot Do.
8 |4 g! J5 o8 @$ d" m2 y  h - Can A Machine Think?; \! t/ W# `; j
( r' i! S+ ^5 ]5 g6 }. B( a8 j0 Z( Q# Y
, U( \( A5 L7 y+ x# t
Good luck
, `, U8 U% u+ \* o6 _( ~( d
- Q3 l# ]8 ]9 K9 r[ Last edited by sk on 2006-2-8 at 03:28 PM ]
作者: sherryliu    時間: 2006-2-8 03:53 PM

Thank you so much!
作者: sk    時間: 2006-2-8 04:04 PM

You're welcome. I hope that helps.
  D& Z1 a( |) nGood luck

歡迎光臨 娛樂滿紛 26FUN (http://26fun.com/bbs/) Powered by Discuz! 7.0.0