Board logo

標題: 頭先 ATV新聞 採訪個女人, 佢用 港式英語 回答 [打印本頁]

作者: aeae    時間: 2006-7-7 04:08 AM     標題: 頭先 ATV新聞 採訪個女人, 佢用 港式英語 回答

N$ ^* }4 _+ v+ }$ d8 t) H1 Z& R8 S- |$ r
! l/ o# ^7 j4 E3 p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBlkd8hznYg
作者: stockman    時間: 2006-7-7 06:01 AM

My guess is that she may not be very educated and her English is not very good anyway?  If so, what she said is really not that bad.  The reporter understands what she means; we understand what she means.$ g: B7 o6 l. v7 M& r3 H, o

- [4 P- N  i7 yBad grammar?  For sure.  But I won't be surprised if a lot of university graduates can't speak English fluently anyway.  And don't forget she has the guts to say it in front of the camera!
作者: Norman Chan    時間: 2006-7-7 08:20 AM

How well can you speak?   Why don't you try to say what she was trying to say?  Say it to yourself.  Now. At this moment.   Fluent enough?  If you think you are, well I guess you're qualified to judge others then.
作者: stockman    時間: 2006-7-7 09:42 AM

Norman: why are you so upset with my comments?  I said the lady in the video wasn't that bad, and I said a lot of u-grads in Hong Kong probably can't speak fluent English.  What's wrong is this?
# S0 K) v" c$ h- ?* X. N) V1 y! Q5 Q1 ?1 o5 W8 Z) @
If you want to be personal, I'd say I can speak fluent English.  Is this really too arrogant? / n# R; v5 e+ y" J

8 ~8 O" `2 U+ Z! g4 `No, you and I don't have to speak fluent English to be qualified to judge others.  Do I have to be a chef to judge whether a restaurant's food is well cooked or not?  Does it appear to you the lady in the video doesn't speak fluent English?  I was simply stating what I observed.  If you see something else, please share.
作者: rongol    時間: 2006-7-7 10:08 AM

quite interesting...her hong kong style english. i think aeae is not laughing at her indeed. and u two, your english grammer is quite a mess actually.
作者: Norman Chan    時間: 2006-7-7 03:04 PM

Originally posted by stockman at 2006-7-7 09:42 AM:
. ^. J4 E# {" S+ u4 M) Y0 d5 FNorman: why are you so upset with m...
. m  x$ \- h/ X, S( {- U
- V) C% m7 x9 `8 K" x$ g; y. s! u
Please don't get me wrong, stockman.  My comment was to aeae.
作者: Norman Chan    時間: 2006-7-7 03:05 PM

Originally posted by rongol at 2006-7-7 10:08 AM:
# N' ]% p* M1 B9 p1 c5 M" Vquite interesting...her hong kong style english. i think aeae is not laughing at her indeed. and u two, your english grammer is quite a mess actually.
- r2 z: K# [9 Q0 F( V# y0 b; ?# d. J$ K* R1 M2 ^
Please kindly point out our grammatical mistakes then.
作者: rongol    時間: 2006-7-8 01:17 AM

how well you can speak. well is an adjective. you should say "how well is your english". the last sentence is really mess. the first part has no object. also you may need to brush up the usage of if...then statement.
作者: stockman    時間: 2006-7-8 03:03 AM

Rongol: I'm sorry, but I think Norman is correct saying 'How well can you speak'.  In this sentence the word 'well' modifies the word 'speak', and your sentence should have been 'How good is your English'.
1 h9 f1 T) _% E# c- o% ^; g# b: G3 B% H- H9 ?
'Well' is used as an adjective only when it refers to health-related issues such as 'I feel well recovering from the cold'.  In Norman's case, 'well' refers to how one person speaks.  Therefore, it works as an adverb.  'Speak' is a verb and 'well' as an adverb modifies the verb.  'English' is a noun, and 'good' as an adjective modifies the noun.' G/ i! G4 K, R  b+ u9 h) O. `5 J9 L

+ x# b! _9 ~6 A! k' QIf I'm wrong, please let me know.
作者: rongol    時間: 2006-7-8 10:56 AM

how about "well done".
8 i: V2 R' P2 [5 S) G! G/ ~0 r! Whow about "i am feeling good".. {( A; H9 m! i3 ^. V
your reply is better this time. at least, this is no fat, no abnormal writen style. i am not so annoying actually. but i think that  if you want to point out someone's english problem, you should mind yours at first. show norman's reply to your english teacher or english-speaking. i believe he will show you his tongue.
作者: Norman Chan    時間: 2006-7-8 01:58 PM

Originally posted by rongol at 2006-7-8 01:17 AM:/ l: i2 P+ _& L' `' [
how well you can speak. well is an ...
& {1 x: f" [' c2 j2 [
5 V" F8 f) g8 d3 ^; L0 X$ v2 |5 H6 \9 T! `
how well you can speak. well is an adjective. you should say "how well is your english".  .........唉 !
作者: Norman Chan    時間: 2006-7-8 02:50 PM

Originally posted by rongol at 2006-7-8 01:17 AM:
& _7 q" \0 M3 @( `7 `6 {6 c6 z2 W% ahow well you can speak. well is an ...
5 {2 K. t; T$ R

# ~8 E, P; H: Z+ J" b/ C+ Vthe last sentence is really a mess. the first part has no object. also you may need to brush up the usage of if...then statement.   <===  Rongol, don't always go by the book.  I suggest you watch or listen to English channels every day.  Read on-line English news too.   
! j9 |8 m& Y# _' b9 Z2 J
% K: D+ g6 K$ }3 q# W7 dThe last sentence:4 I  d1 {3 i7 m* R/ ]6 p: q) M" I
"Fluent enough?  If you think you are (fluent), ......."  The word 'fluent' is ommited because it's been mentioned already.
作者: harvey22    時間: 2006-7-8 09:03 PM

what she said sounds a bit like singlish lol
作者: stockman    時間: 2006-7-9 12:12 AM

how about "well done".& l6 \( O  z* i
how about "i am feeling good".  S, U" }7 O2 T) n) Q
your reply is better this time. at least, this is no fat, no abnormal writen style. i am not so annoying actually. but i think that  if you want to point out someone's english problem, you should mind yours at first. show norman's reply to your english teacher or english-speaking. i believe he will show you his tongue.2 `3 I$ Q& H% A9 S

" e' L& Q5 r# a. k" K6 {Rongol: the phrase 'well done' and 'I am feeling good' are both correct, but 'How well can you speak' is also correct.  I don't mind you critizing my English as everybody, including you and I, can be wrong.  I critized a specific sentence of yours but not you as a person, but you seem to take it so personally.1 u9 X1 C9 q& L) x8 l+ @" V

" X4 _' o# {  l+ I7 o0 p' IThe truth is -- take it easy.  This is an 26FUN forum, not a spelling or grammar contest.  You don't have to write in perfect English or Chinese.  And if you don't agree or like other people's comments, deal with them or ignore them.* Y# I. g$ u6 {& |! T* s# d  j+ b* q

6 D+ C6 Y* r6 gJust curious: when do you currently live and when did you learn your Englsih?  For myself, I was born and raised in Hong Kong but have been working and living in the U.S. now for many years.% ^4 J% m7 |: l9 c' G- V
, t/ v5 i; u$ n7 C* U: n
p.s.: the reason we use 'I am feeling good' is that for sense verbs like 'see', 'smell', 'feel', etc. you follow it with an adjective.  In this case, we use 'good' after 'am feelilng'.

歡迎光臨 娛樂滿紛 26FUN (http://26fun.com/bbs7/) Powered by Discuz! 7.0.0